Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snow Ninja






I think people like seeing process on art blogs, so I take the time to post the preliminary images. This is pretty straight forward. I'm basically following the same idea as in the last painting: I should just paint whatever makes me happy and not worry about anything else. As is the norm, it seems that the energy of the sketch is lost by the time I get to the finish. One of my goals is to balance that out. I tried doing watercolor-ish washes this time by not sealing the wood, and found it unpredictable, but it worked out pretty well for the clouds. I want to figure out a way to achieve soft washes like Sam Weber and Eric Fortune without working on watercolor paper because I hate framing paintings, and I like working on wood. Anyway, I have a lot of work still to do, so that's all for now, wish me luck!

5 comments:

San Smith said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing your process - you are very talented and seeing how you do things inspires me :) Good luck with continuing pieces like this - I'm enjoying them so far!

Jeremy Forson said...

Thanks San Smith!

Thea Schultheiss said...

People do like seeing progress shots - I am those people, I loved this!

I'm intrigued to know what happened between pictures 3 and four, they look as though they are two different pieces.

Thanks for sharing, like San said, very inspiring!

Brian Bowes said...

Hey Jeremy,

Nice painting, it's well designed.

I also love the feeling that comes with Eric Fortune and Sam Webber. You might also like Tran Nguyen :
http://studentpages.scad.edu/~tnguye25/

Jeremy Forson said...

Thea, Thanks for the feedback, good to know. I see now how step 3 and step 4 might need clarification. Step 3 is a photoshop color comp. I make them pretty tight so there's not much guess work when I get to the finish.

Brian, thanks man! That's kind-of odd that you mentioned Tran. I started talking to her on DeviantArt a while ago. I think she's actually left a comment or two around here? Anyway, she's AMAZING. I've been telling lots of people about how talented she is. Unfortunately for her, she has an exceptionally common name, so I say "Have you heard of Tran Nguyen?" and everyone says yes haha.