Thursday, December 16, 2010

5 years

Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of my last day of college. That doesn't mean much to most people, but it's a milestone for me. It's said if you don't go anywhere, whether in music, art, acting, or whatever, within 5 years, you need to move on. This is to keep you from needlessly working towards an impossible goal while other opportunities pass you by, especially if you don't have "it." You never know, you might be right next to thing you're meant to do. I had written a long and sad blog about how I was done with illustration because I don't make nearly enough to conceivably make a living from it. And really, I am done with illustration, as a career, but not as an personal activity. I've demoted it from career aspiration, to slightly profitable hobby. It will be something I do for myself from now on, unless there's a monumental shift in demand for illustration someday. Doesn't look likely though. It's sad to have to let go of a lifelong dream.

I'm looking to start a new career. I don't want to be the type of guy who works as a waiter part time, hoping in vain that his dream of being an artist/musician/actor will come true. I know it won't, and to be honest, I'm not sure I would like it anyway. I need health insurance, retirement, stability, vacation, weekends...um, money. All that good stuff. I'm hoping to find a job as an entry level art director, or creative intern. I think I would be good at it because of the diverse subjects I've studied, specifically if I could be an interactive art director, that would be amazing.

So yeah, I know I'm not posting a lot these days, but it's because I'm looking for a new job, and working on a portfolio that can help me find one. Sadly, my artwork isn't a desired skill.

4 comments:

Brian Bowes said...

Hey Jeremy,

I hope that your new mind-set brings you those creature comforts that you deserve. It's a bold move, and one that I hope will pay off for you.

I thought you might be interested in this guest post by Bill Carman on Muddy Colors: http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2010/12/guest-blogger-bill-carman.html In the first few paragraphs he talks about navigating the career path.

Cheers,
B

Jeremy Forson said...

Bill Carman is a good example of where art is now. He's a professor, like so many other notable illustrators. People aren't able to make a decent living as illustrators anymore. It's too unpredictable, and private health insurance is far too expensive. I don't especially want to teach, so I'm looking for another career that will fulfill my need to create, as well as my need to survive. I'll always make drawings and paintings for fun, but I know being a full time professional illustrator is not in the cards.

Brian Bowes said...

No doubt, it's interesting to hear how different people cobble together a life path from their creative energies. From what I have been able to glean, setting aside the top tier of creatives out there, most folks are doing a little of this, and a little of that to make ends meet. More like a juggler than a one trick pony.

Certainly gone are the halcyon days of; illustration = rock star.

But like the man said, "Do what you feel and keep both feet on the wheel."

Jeremy Forson said...

That's about the sum of it. Thanks for your input Brian.