Saturday, August 23, 2008

Lyon


Wow, 2 posts in one day. I just finished this personal painting. I've been doing less band artwork lately to focus on personal projects. This painting started out as an exercise and turned into a really nice piece in my opinion. That almost always happens, where the paintings I'm just doing for fun are the strongest, but this time I painted it on a loose surface instead of in my goddamn sketchbook where I can't even show it. The surface is something I made for the Blues "Snakepit" album that I didn't use. This painting looks much better in real life. Like I said, I wasn't expecting it to be anything but a fun painting, so it's not primed correctly or anything to facilitate better scanning. The result is that it scanned HORRIBLY and I spend a bunch of time trying to make it passable. Healing tool = Awesome. Raw canvas reacts strangely in the scanner, plus the triple thick crystal clear varnish I finished it with was reflecting badly off the edges of the cut canvas. I have a problem where I do my best work on terrible surfaces, I'm sure that it's because it's less intimidating, and I feel less anxious about messing it up. My most popular painting is on a flooring sample and man, I wish it wasn't.

This was much painterly as far as process then most of my work. No sketches, no preconceived composition. Just exploration of the form, color, and medium. I painted this back and forth several times, and although it was tedious, it looks richer and I learned a lot. My plans for the future are to do more gallery work. I feel like I'm better suited for it, so expect to see more personal paintings like this.

5 comments:

Adam said...

Dude, this is epic. Post more often - please.

said...

I found awesome works on your folio... great job!

Lilah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Owen said...

Hi Jeremy, this piece is really fantastic! Glad to have discovered your site on illustrationmundo, keep up the great work!

Jeremy Forson said...

Thanks Owen! Your work is fantastic!