Saturday, April 04, 2009

New website

I launched the fifth version of my website today. For a while now I've been thinking about how unnecessary most of it was. So I made a new one, and I think that it very well may be the simplest portfolio site ever. The biggest cut was the links. Having a massive collection of links on your site seemed pointless to me, and I didn't like people feeling slighted if they weren't on there. Also the large image on the front of the man and woman holding hands was largely there to look cool, so, gone. Then the news section was not what I thought it would be. It was always "I added this painting, and removed this one." Gone. Instead I have the "last update" which I instated because I think that most people come to the site every so often to see if I have something new up, and so if that hasn't changed, they can move on. Also I took out all of the shirt designs in my portfolio. I think that a portfolio should be both your best work, and the work that reflects what you WANT to do. My shirt work is neither. Most of the time I can't use enough colors to make it special, and I prefer painting above everything else. I'd love to take out older work as well, like anything I did while I was in school, but sadly that would leave my portfolio very thin, and many paintings I did as a student remain the most popular.

No comments: