Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Ghosts

This painting is for a themed group show called "Wizards and Warriors" that is to be in L.A. I guess it's pretty orthodox as far as fantasy goes, I didn't really try to stretch the boundaries like "what is a wizard, really?" I was thinking a lot about Ash Wood and Frazetta when I painted it. I really like the way it was painted, it's more "painterly" than most of my work and I had a lot of fun making it. It was nice to make something where I could just be silly and not have to worry about it being brilliant. If I just made covers like this for metal bands it would take a lot of the stress out of coming up with a good concept.

1 comment:

jelwood said...

Really solid work---evokes those Harryhausen pieces, but is more evocative because the 'skeletons' are full fleshed individuals. Nice.