Monday, August 27, 2007

Mature art

I'm sticken with sudden sadness over the realization that my art is much too teen to be truely respectable. It seems to be an over-rendered version of angsty math class doodles. This disturbs me greatly and I feel that I need to drive towards pulling away from the creepy school gutter. I've been trying to move in a different direction for a while, but I'm hung up on a couple problems: I've been doing creepy art for so long that I've gotten good at it and it's difficult for me to work in a new style, and my "clients" often demand or at least expect that style from me. I'm trying to figure out where to go with my art to make it more mature. Suggestions welcome.

3 comments:

nachodoodles said...

I don't feel like your art is teen-creepy at all. It's creepy in a mature way, if that makes sense. (I don't even think that "creepy" is the first thing that comes to mind when looking at your stuff)
But since you feel uncomfortable about...
Ask yourself what you'd rather do! Put some effort in thinking about what you want to create. If doing creepy art is easy for you, maybe you're not challenging yourself enough intellectually. You keep moving inside of your comfort zone. Try to break out of it by drawing inspiration from new things.. things that are interesting to you but you think you don't have the balls or skills to try out.
I guess it's a lot about challenging yourself and trying things that you normally wouldn't try for some reason. I know it's a shitty situation to be in, and it can be quite frustrating to find a way out of it. Try not to think about it too much and get your mind off of it by trying new things. It works for me.

Or maybe your just in an ordinary art rut and it'll all go away in a couple of days ;D

Anyways, I hope some of that made sense..
Personally, I like what you do.
Best wishes
Jonas

Jeremy Forson said...

Thanks Jonas. This was a very helpful and thoughtful comment. I appreciate it a lot.

RZ said...

I concur with Jonas. If you're not satisfied with the content of your work, try something radically different, like straight-forward documentation. Say you go to an event and document it with on-the-spot drawings and later flesh those out into paintings. That's what Robert Weaver and his gang did. I think the reportage nature of the act would be good for you.

You'd have to really go overboard to put big crazy teeth and bones and guts and planks all over it. :)

on the flip side, maybe your work is mature enough. just because it appeals to metal kids and rock bands doesn't make it non-high art, per se. One could argue that philip guston's work was just over-sized inflammatory cartoons, and by that rationale, immature. y'know?

anyhow, i'll talk to you tomorrow.

--rz