Sunday, August 09, 2009

the perfect predator






Haven't done a process post in a while! My process changes, but I'm happy with the way the last 2 paintings came out (I did it this way). I think they were most successful because I spend more time in the sketching phase, so that when it came time to bust out the painting it was like "the 1 inch punch". You can see here the thumbnail sketch, which is actually about 4 inches high. I like this size because I can still see what I'm drawing, but it doesn't take me too long, and altering it is easy. I don't feel too committed to the drawing. I liked this after much erasing and scanned it. Then in PS I did some compositional variations and worked some backgrounds until I had something I liked. Here is the pencil sketch from phase 3, but originally it was the thumb. The large puff of smoke wasn't working for me compositionally. So, then I took the girl out, blew her up to fit as big as possible on and 8.5x11 sheet of paper, and traced her onto another sheet of printer paper. Her right boob was in a place normally seen on much older women, so I moved that up and tightened things. Scanned this new tighter drawing and blew it up to the size it would be on the panel. I printed that out in 2 pieces and taped them together. Then I traced that onto the wood panel using graphite tracing paper. This only really works if you have a couple layers of matte medium or something on the wood already. So yeah...painted it up. It came out really clean for some reason, I don't know where that came from, but I like it anyway. Sorry for the rush, but I've been here for 10 hours, and I gotta bike home and go to bed so I can wake up early and do it again tomorrow. Hearts!

No comments: